This site is for those who are interested in alternative ideas to the meaning of life. The aim is help you challenging your thoughts and perspections but not alter your beliefs. Entertaining for all types of people regardless of personal interests.

Saturday 21 April 2007

How hard for misbehaviour

'Smacking' is becoming ever so common in many households as a way of keeping children under manners.
I was smacked as a child and it has not done me any harm, but there is always the question of whether it was necessary?
I have spoke to friends to a lot of my friends about the times that they could remember being smacked for something and from what i have been told it was essential in their upbringing. My friends believed that knowing that there were consequence to their actions made them less likely to get up to mischief because they want to get 'beats' as it was called when i was younger.
I read an article in the Independent were a Politian critical of child disopline in the light of smacking a child. The arguement was that it is hard to distiguish between abuse and the occasional smack on the rest. His main concern was that alot of child abuse has been overlooked becaause the child doesn't appear to be in any discomfort but to a child the illtreatment that they are recieving is 'normal' when it is not. According to the Politian he hope to clamp down on this by making it public.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/252607.stm

Children all over the world need our help and support . So think the next time before you raise you hand to a child.

1 comment:

Donnie said...

I agree with your comments on smacking, i see no problem with it!! I too was smacked as a child and after meeting me, you can see im well mannered and an all round plesent person!! I do believe that parents have the right to smack their own children as a form of discipline. Children as they go through their development stages don't always understand why or if a cirtain action is wrong and often, just telling or explaining to them is enough. I don't agree with all out beating, but u know, a smack on the hand when their naughty or one on their arse when they've been really bad!! I was smacked as a child and im fine, and being an older brother i smack my younger sisters too... its called tuff love!!